Thursday, November 29, 2012

11/29/12 Colors


Intro:  I love Colors by Ken Nordine, hysterical, game changing CD.  I don't know if I can listen to it in one sitting.  We may skip it.  If we do, this means that we'll get to "Comm" by The Tangent.

The Albums:
  • Clutching at Straws (Bonus Disc) - Marillion
  • Collective Soul - Collective Soul
  • Colors - Ken Nordine
  • The Colour of Spring - Talk Talk
  • Coma Divine - Porupine Tree
  • Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
  • Come Sail Away - The Styx Anthology
  • Come With Us - The Chemical Brothers
  • Comfort Eagle - Cake
  • Comm - The Tangent
The Wrap Up:  

Anger . . . anger . . . Google Chrome crashed on me and apparently my work wasn't saved, so this is the second time I'm typing this.

I'm not a huge fan of Bonus Discs and despite my love of "Clutching at Straws", the bonus disc doesn't do much for me.

Cake was given to me by a friend with the words 'here, you'll like this'.  She is no longer my friend.  Cake is getting booted from the hard drive.  Cake is rhythmic whining.  (I'm being overly harsh for comedic purposes, I just really didn't care for them).

The main subject of the day is "Colors" by Ken Nordine.  A few years ago I realized that I had a bunch of songs named after elements; Silver by Juno Reactor, Carbon by Tori Amos, Neon by John Mayer, Mercury by The Clarks, Chrome by VNV Nation . . . and so on.  I did a search on the iTunes store for more and came across "Gold" by Ken Nordine.  I listened to the song and it was so weird, I immediately bought the entire album.

Ken Nordine does what is described as 'word jazz', basically he tells a somewhat bizarre / beatnik story over melodies played by jazzy musicians.  Sometimes the musicians play together, sometimes not, but it's really the stories that set this apart.  The album is a series of 2 minute pieces based on different colors and their personalities.  For example:

    • Fuchsia is apparently a fuss budget and wants everything in the world to be colored fuchsia.
    • Yellow was being picked on by Green, it was a bad scene until Blue came in and reminded Green that if Blue and Yellow got together, well they didn't need Green, a gentle threat.
    • Gold wants everything to fight over it.
You get the hint.  I had a buddy of mine, Mike Marcus, come over and help me paint my basement.  I put this album, to his credit, it was about a half hour and a few beers of this before he finally threw something at me with the eternal question, 'wtf is this'.  No, he didn't use the acronym.


The Final Tally:
  • Winner
    • The Colour of Spring - Talk Talk
  • Growers

  • Keepers
    • Coma Divine - Porupine Tree
    • Come Sail Away - The Styx Anthology
  • Wibblers (no opinion one way or another)
    • Collective Soul - Collective Soul
  • Moodies (Albums for a certain mood)
    • Colors - Ken Nordine
    • Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
    • Come With Us - The Chemical Brothers
  • Bleh
    • Clutching at Straws (Bonus Disc) - Marillion
    • Comfort Eagle - Cake

No comments: