Tuesday, November 13, 2012

11/13/12 Kristie's Day


11/13/12  Today's Albums:  Kristie's Day

Intro:  So the theme for the day is apparently Kristie's Day.  Two of the CD's were ones that I got from my friend Kristie, Black Gives Way to Blue and The Black Magic Show (apparently she's into Black).  All in all, it's a relatively eclectic mix, low on the electronica.

The Albums:
  • Big Swing Face - Bruce Hornsby
  • Billy the Kid / Rodeo - Aaron Copeland
  • Birds of Pray - Live
  • Black Celebration - Depeche Mode
  • Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Dream Theater
  • The Black Forest - Agents of Mercy
  • Black Gives Way to Blue - Alice in Chains
  • Black Like Sunday - King's X
Summary:

Wow, that was kind of a crappy day, nothing was quite worthy of getting 'winner' status.  The only one that I was really enjoying was Billy the Kid / Rodeo but even that didn't quite cut it.  Classical music is problematic in a cube farm / work environment due to the dynamics.  You either can't hear the soft parts or the loud parts merit you a visit from the VP who really isn't interested in the whole 'but I'm listening to my entire music catalog' defense.

Birds of Pray sucked, Black Gives Way to Blue sucked, Black Like Sunday almost sucked, they got the 'Wibbler' tag mostly on the band's reputation.

Big Swing Face was good, but again, not my favorite by Bruce.  Black Celebration was kind of fun, but obviously dated.  Black Clouds had winner consideration as well, sadly, the lyrics at times are horrendous and I just couldn't give them the award.

I had initially reported that I'd get to hear "The Black Magic Show" in the intro, sadly, that just didn't materialize.

On to tomorrow.

The Final Tally:
  • Winner

  • Growers

  • Keepers
    • Big Swing Face - Bruce Hornsby
    • Billy the Kid / Rodeo - Aaron Copeland
    • Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Dream Theater
  • Wibblers (no opinion one way or another)
    • The Black Forest - Agents of Mercy
    • Black Like Sunday - King's X
  • Moodies (Albums for a certain mood)
    • Black Celebration - Depeche Mode
  • Bleh
    • Birds of Pray - Live
    • Black Gives Way to Blue - Alice in Chains

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

love Black Clouds...lyrics are goofy, but i've come to love all the songs. my fav bruce hornsby is Harbor Lights. great album.

Tom said...

You're spot on with 'Harbor Lights', if I ever start doing solo gigs, 'Rainbow's Cadillac' will be right up there on the list.

Anonymous said...

From a Friend:

So, “Black Gives Way to Blue” by Alice in Chains sucked? Them’s fightin’ words, my (former) friend……

Layne Staley is dead – long live Alice in Chains!



P.S. – I’m the one who hooked Kristie up with my copy of “Black……” about a year or so ago, so it’s comforting to learn that my years-long campaign to musically infiltrate your company has not been in vain…..

P.S. – “Dirt” by Alice in Chains resides comfortably within my Top Ten favorites of all time, so consider the source……



Then again, I also really dig “Altered Beast” by Matthew Sweet, which I noted in the “Bleh” section of one of your entries…..amusingly, it’s the same entry that cites “Animals” by Pink Floyd as a winner, which also resides with my Top Ten.




Tom said...

I don't know, I just didn't get the new guy, I think the problem is that he wasn't Layne Staley. Dirt is a fantastic album and I would probably put Jar of Flies in my top twenty. I just didn't dig this one.