Monday, November 12, 2012

11/12/12 Bearded Electronica



11/12/12  Today's Albums:  Intro of the Beard and a lot of Electronica

Intro (Ok, So I'm going to start adding my initial thoughts here):  Ladies and Gentlemen we're going to start the day off my introducing you all to one of my all time favorite bands, Spock's Beard.  In the grand scheme of things, they're probably a top five band for me.  Prog at its modern best.  RPWL is in my regular rotation at this point as it's both new and pretty damn good.  Then there's a whole bunch of electronica.  See you on the other side.
  • Beware of Darkness - Spock's Beard
  • Beyond Man and Time - RPWL
  • Beyond the Infinite - Juno Reactor
  • Bible of Dreams - Juno Reactor
  • Bicycles and Tricycles - The Orb
  • Big Blue Ball - Various
  • Big Face - The D Project
Summary:

It was a decent day, a bit of prog, some electronica and some Peter Gabriel led world music.  As I mentioned in the intro, the first two were both great.  Beware of Darkness was one of my first Beard CD's, if you're looking for some good modern prog, Spock's Beard is a great place to go in my mind.  RPWL was a Pink Floyd tribute band before they made the transition to their own material.  They still have a Floyd sound to them, circa Division Belle.  This CD in particular is one of my favorites by them.  I would have to double check, but "Beyond Man and Time" is up there with "Banks of Eden" as my favorite releases of 2012.

We then hit a batch of electronica, two Juno Reactor CD's followed by The Orb.  Electronica was my primary listening preference for years, but at this point, it's a struggle to get through a big chunk of it unless I'm in the right mood.

Big Blue Ball was a compilation CD by Peter Gabriel and some of his artists on the WOMAD label.  If you like Gabriel and World Music, this is a great way to go.

Finally we ended with Big Face by The D Project.  I found these guys on Progstreaming.com and really enjoy them.  They're a relatively small artist that produces some good music.  You've probably heard this before but if you need a nice modern prog fix, go with these guys:

http://www.thedproject.com/index.html

All in all, it was a pretty good ay.

  • Winner
    • Beyond Man and Time - RPWL
  • Growers
    • Big Face - The D Project
  • Keepers
    • Beware of Darkness - Spock's Beard
    • Beyond the Infinite - Juno Reactor
    • Big Blue Ball - Various
  • Wibblers (no opinion one way or another)

  • Moodies (Albums for a certain mood)
    • Bible of Dreams - Juno Reactor
    • Bicycles and Tricycles - The Orb
  • Bleh

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    RPWL is fast becoming equal to TFK and SB. Good stuff. This blog is fun. I hope you can keep it up. I need to do the same thing. However, when I try I get bored and end up putting TFK or Spock's in!

    zumacraig (from progarchives)

    Tom said...

    RPWL is pretty good at times, though I can't put them up there with The Beard and the Flower Kings just yet. I really like 'World Through My Eyes' and the latest one, but 'The RWPL Experience' doesn't do a heck of a lot for me. This latest one though, "Beyond Man and Time" really is fantastic to my ears.