Friday, November 16, 2012

11/16/12 Jazzy


11/16/12  Jazzy!

Intro:  I did a little manipulation today.  Brave by Marillion (a double album) was scheduled for the last album of the day.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to listen to it in it's entirety, as such, I'm bumping it down to the lead off position on Monday and giving Brave New Hope the nod for the end of the day.  Other than that, we've got a good mix, two Jazzy CD's, something from my favorite band (Genesis), Some nineties stuff and one of the progressive rock classic CD's in Brain Salad Surgery.  First thought, I'm digging Deep Forest.

The Albums:
  • Boheme - Deep Forest
  • The Bohemians - Skywalk
  • Boingo - Boingo
  • Born on a Pirate Ship - Barenaked Ladies
  • Boxset 1976-1982 - Genesis
  • A Boy Named Goo - The Goo Goo Dolls
  • Brand New Day - Sting
  • Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake and Palmer
  • Brave - Marillion
Summary:
I forgot to manipulate, that' ok, I got through the regular CD and missed the bonus CD.  It wasn't like breaking up an epic.  I am however giving Brain Salad Surgery another run today.  I don't remember what happened but I didn't hear it at all.  I'm leaving it out of the lists and will give it s apin on the 19th.

Boheme and Brave both got the 'grower' tag.  This basically means that this listen has changed my opinion of the CD for the positive.  Something that gets a 'grower' tag gets a playlist in iTunes and usually transferred to the iPod for further listening.  These are the real gems of the project.  A day that I find two things that I've got a better opinion of is a great day.

Boheme is a hybrid of New Age / Electronica / World Music and has a lot of catchy melodies to go along with the driving bass.  Brave is an album revered by the masses of Neoprog fans out there as one of the best.  Me, I too am a fan of Neoprog, but Marillion is one of those bands that I don't quite get as much as others do.  Brave is considered a modern classic for it's genre.  I don't want to say that I finally 'get it' referring to all of the hype surrounding the CD, I did enjoy it more than other times I've listened to it.

Love Sting and Brand New Day is one of the best, A Boy Named Goo is a great listen if you're in the mood for 80's hair metal turned 90's rock.  Brand New Day is the song that I use to test out car stereos, it is mixed beautifully with each and every piece crystal clear.  Within the first thirty seconds you get an incredibly low bass rumble and the clear, high end of the snare overtones.

The Bohemians is a great, 80's jazz CD that I ran into back in the day.  If you want to hear an absolutely beautiful song, look up The Torchbearers (yes, the blog is new and improved, now with links).

The Genesis Boxset contains a lot of rarities, if you're in to that type of thing, then this is the way to go.

Boingo is an interesting CD.  Back in the late 80's / early 90's, Oingo Boingo apparently had a fight of some sort, Danny Elfman (yes, that Danny Elfman) wanted the band to go in one direction, the rest of the band wanted to go elsewhere . . . so they fired him . . . and created a new band . . . called Oingo.  Well, I don't know if Oingo ever released anything but Elfman apparently  decided to one up them and release a CD by his new band, Boingo.  This is the result.  The first song, Insanity, kicks proverbial butt and leaves you wanting a whole heck of a lot more. . . sadly, this need is never met and the remainder of the CD is kind of bad jangly pop.

Regardless, it was a good day, 2 growers, some Genesis and the introduction of links in the Blog.  Sting for the win.

The Final Tally:
  • Winner
    • Brand New Day - Sting
  • Growers
    • Boheme - Deep Forest
    • Brave - Marillion
  • Keepers
    • The Bohemians - Skywalk
    • Boxset 1976-1982 - Genesis
  • Wibblers (no opinion one way or another)
    • Born on a Pirate Ship - Barenaked Ladies
  • Moodies (Albums for a certain mood)
    • A Boy Named Goo - The Goo Goo Dolls
  • Bleh
    • Boingo - Boingo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a 90s set. In the 90s I was all Phish and Grateful dead. I need to get that Genesis Archive Set. Only heard it a few times.

BTW-your smart to do this by album title. I tried this once by artist and it was overwhelming trying to listen to an entire catalog!

C

Tom said...

There's some good stuff on the Genesis set. Now this is the old box set, the one that was released in the 90's not the 5.1 set released in the 2000s. Regardless, if you like the more modern era of Genesis, there is a lot of good stuff on here.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I tried sorting by artist once and like you, there were days of the same artist which was a bit much for me.

zumacraig said...

i can't imagine listening to three flower kings albums in a row. i'd go nuts!

Craig

Tom said...

I actually have done that from time to time. I get on a kick. Yesterday, I spend the day assembling furniture and was in a Genesis mood. I did Selling England, Foxtrot, Nursery Crymes (twice), Trick of the Tail then two runs through Wind and Wuthering. It was a great day. The problem is the Rush or Sting day. Both are artists that I enjoy and have a lot of. If I'm not in the mood for them, then it's a rough day through and through.